- 1 3/4 cups whole wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoons light brown sugar, packed
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/2 cups buttermilk
- 3 Tablespoons canola oil
- chocolate chips
1. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
2. In a large bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk and oil. Stir in dry ingredients and mix just until moistened (lumpy batter is what you’re looking for). The batter will be pretty thick, but if it seems a little too thick for your taste, you can mix in a couple more Tablespoonfuls of buttermilk.
3. Heat large skillet or griddle and spray with nonstick spray. Scoop batter onto heated surface (I like to use an ice cream scoop), spread into a circle and position a few chocolate chips on top. Cook over medium-low heat for about 1 to 2 minutes, until edges begin to curl under a bit and appear dry when you place the spatula underneath. Flip and cook the other side for a minute or two. Your pancakes should be golden brown on both sides. Serve immediately with syrup.
I found this recipe today, and I cannot wait to try it!